Table of Contents
- Getting Started
- Software Download and Install
- MERTS Menu Functions
- Setting Up a Committee
- MERTS File Extension
- Add New or Modify Names
- Importing Names
- Exporting Names
- Add New or Modify Reports
- Importing Transactions
- Exporting Transactions
- Add New or Modify Election Cycle
- Add New or Modify Fund Raiser
- Add New or Modify Direct Contributions
- Add New or Modify Other Receipts
- Add New or Modify In-Kind Contributions
- Add New or Modify Campaigns
- Add New or Modify Direct Expenditures
Please leave double-percent markup in above line, it works around a traillist bug PITS#01119
- Add New or Modify GOTV Expenditures
- Add New or Modify In-Kind Expenditures
- Add New or Modify Independent Expenditures
- Add New or Modify Disbursements
- Add New or Modify Loans Owed BY the Committee
- Add New or Modify Debts Owed TO the Committee
- Add New or Modify Debts Owed BY the Committee
- Add New or Modify Payments to Debts or Loans
- Contribution and Expenditure Limits
- View and Print Campaign Report
- All Transactions Tab
- Run, View and Print Validation Report
- Closing, Adding Treasurer and Uploading Report
- Amending a Campaign Report
- Backing up and Restoring Files
- Open the MERTS software.
- Choose Create a New Committee File.
- Open an existing committee file – opens a file you have already started.
- Help – directs users the the MERTS website.
- Exit wizard – exits the wizard and return to a gray screen.
To begin setting up the committee select ‘Create a new committee file’.
Please note this should only be selected if:
- This is the first time this committee is filing and no other Reports/Campaign Statement have been submitted electronically,
- The committee has lost it’s previous file and needs to start over,
- Switching from paper to electronic format.
Creating multiple files will cause ending/beginning balance errors as well as not calculating cumulative totals correctly. These types of errors will generate a Notice of Error or Omission. If a file has already been created exit the wizard and locate the file from its saved location.
- Select the committee type and click ‘Ok’
A confirmation window will appear providing the potential errors of creating a new committee file if one has already been created for this committee.
- Click the ‘I have read the terms..’ check box to proceed with creating a new committee file.
- Click Ok to proceed with the committee information.
- Replace ‘My Committee’ with the committee name on file with the Bureau of Elections. Add the committee identification number, address information and other information requested.
- Click Ok to save your entry.
- Proceed to enter a report/campaign statement
- Your Enter the coverage dates for the reporting period. Click “Get Report Coverage dates here” for a complete list of reports and dates.
- Click Ok to save report information.
- Select ‘Enter Transactions’ to proceed to the Summary Page and Data Entry tab to start entering transactions.
- Select ‘Add Names’ to proceed to the Names tab to start entering names.
- Save the file, choose a name and location. Enter a file name that is easy to remember and identify as a MERTS file.
Note: Replace the default name with a specific name of the committee and not a report. For example JANE SMITH MERTS FILE (Candidates), SAVE THE PEOPLE MERTS FILE (PAC, Ballot Question or Political Party).